Monday 15 June 2015

A Gallery of Bread

Time flies, so I've decided to have a look back at some of my favourite loaves (and other things) over the years.

Sourdough square loaf
Baked in a square tin in my gas oven, this golden loaf...

Sourdough square loaf inside
... has a moist, chewy texture. A true Sourdough.

Sourdough long loaf
From the pizza slab, fresh farm-style bread
 

Sourdough - dough stage
 A flat foccaccia-style loaf rests on my pizza stone before going in to the oven.

Sourdough flat foccacia-style
And comes out rustic and golden


Sourdough - dinner or lunch rolls and a loaf
  Economy day - A loaf and 4 buns

Sourdough blueberry bagels
 These were some truly awesome blueberry bagels... boiled, then baked, glazed with sugar and stuffed with fresh blueberries.

Sourdough bagels with cinnamon, blackstrap and blueberries
 So I had to keep going. I then made a richer, darker bagel with cinnamon, blueberries and blackstrap molasses.
Sourdough buttery croissants
Tried bagels... why not croissants? It requires a bit of elbow grease to work in the butter, so it layers, but it's so worth it!
Sourdough hi-top loaf of bread
 A VERY hi-top loaf...

A fine slice of bread

...with a light, chewy middle

Sourdough round loaf in pot
 The classic method of baking in a covered iron pot produces a rich, caramel colour.
 
Sourdough round loaf
 Another beautiful round country-style loaf

Fresh bread and butter - sourdough style
... and the only way to have it is with unsalted, cultured butter.

Twin sourdough loaves baked in silicon tins
 A pair of twins, from the oven. My first attempt at baking in silicone trays - not my favourite!

Sourdough pizza

As an Italian mamma said to me, "the taste is all in the base". While she had a wood stove in her Bondi garage, these pizzas made in my gas stove are not only the most popular item in my house, but they taste even better than her wood fired ones. She should have used sourdough starter instead of yeast!



No comments:

Post a Comment